I can smell gas, what should I do?
- Get fresh air immediately - open all doors and windows to ventilate the area
- Switch off the appliance and gas pipework by turning off the gas supply at the emergency control valve at the gas meter. Do not turn the gas supply on again until it has been checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
- Do not operate electrical switches, operating electrical equipment can ignite escaping gas.
- Extinguish all naked flames.
- Call the National Gas Emergency number – 0800 111 999 (If you're deaf or hard of hearing, you can use a textphone (Minicom) on 0800 371 787).
- If you are feeling unwell visit your GP or hospital immediately and inform them that you may have been exposed to carbon monoxide.
For more information about what to do in a gas emergency please go to the National Grid website.
If you're a tenant and you'd like to find out about Partners gas safety checks go to the Gas Servicing section of our site.
If you're a leaseholder and have sublet your property find out about your landlord gas servicing requirements in the Home Ownership section of our site.