Useful Council Services
Some of the services to your properties are provided directly by the Council. This section gives you some information about the services you may find most useful.
The Council collects household rubbish once a week. You must put all your household rubbish in the correct place outside the property on rubbish collection day.
Don’t put rubbish out before the collection day.
Details of the day that your rubbish is collected are available on Islington Council’s website. Remember: the collection day may change now and then, for example when there is a Bank Holiday, so watch out for information about this.
If you need to arrange for an item of bulk refuse to be collected, please contact Islington Council.
You can also take a look on Islington Council's website here
Islington Council runs a variety of recycling schemes for residents
in street properties (that is, not on estates). These are:
- a ‘green box scheme’, which collects plastic bottles, cardboard, paper, glass and cans from your house once a week
- a green garden waste collection service
- a kitchen waste collection service
- a reuse collection service, which takes quality furniture for reuse.
Other recycling services are available to the public:
- You can also take your waste and recycling to the Household Reuse and Recycling Centre. Car access is through Hornsey Street; if you are on foot, use the drop-off facilities or go to the reception in Cottage Road, off Caledonian Road
- If you have green waste, the Council sponsors wormeries and compost bins, which turn garden waste into useful compost
- You can take mixed paper, glass and cans to any of the 66 public recycling points, and textiles to 12 textile recycling points
- The Council offers a discount on a nappy laundry service or on buying cloth nappies
You can get more details on any of these schemes through the Islington Council’s website www.islington.gov.uk./recycling
Many streets in Islington are designated as Controlled Parking Zones (CPZs). If you live in a street with controlled parking, you must have a residents’ parking permit. For more details on which streets are CPZs and how to get a parking permit, contact Islington Council. See www.islington.gov.uk.
Energy efficiency in your home
The Council has an Energy Advice Team that provides free, independent advice on energy use. They can advise you on understanding bills, using low- energy lighting and improving your home so it is easier to keep warm. See www.islington.gov.uk.
Public Protection Division, Islington Council, 222 Upper Street, London N1 1XR
Tel: 020 7527 3190 Fax: 020 7527 3210
The pest control service aims to ensure that public health pests are dealt with efficiently, safely, and on a cost-effective basis, with due regard to the environment. Activities include:
- providing a service to tenants for the treatment of public health pests, namely rats, mice, cockroaches, fleas, bed bugs, and pharaoh ants
- offering advice to tenants on the treatment of other pests
- providing an advisory (and where necessary enforcement) service to other Islington residents and businesses in relation to all pests
- offering a free pest identification service